Thursday, December 22, 2011

INTP vs INTJ : Deciphering your Jungian, MBTI Type

Sometimes our behavior may not seem in line with some qualities of our Jungian MBTI type. However, to decipher your type, you must look holisitically at behavior, cognitive processes, and the description that feels the most authentic to yourself (be honest).

I am sometimes a bit confused with figuring out my Jungian, Myers-Briggs personality type because some tests would give me results as an INTP and others as an INTJ. I see both qualities of Perceiving and Judging in my personality.

Two Cognitive Processes Tests (links provided below), gave me results that I am an INTP. However, on the general MBTI tests, I am often an INTJ ( ranging from slightly expressed to moderately expressed judging 22% to 44%). The general MBTI tests are the professional ones that are most widely used, and I find them to be more accurate. However, it is helpful to understand your shadow cognitive processes as well from the other test.

I am most surely an INTJ when I read the descriptions, but there are some nuances that show a shadow of INTP in myself. I find that I do identify with INTJ in the way I think, but I am not so rigid, thinking I'm always right and I am open to different ideas and learning and improving. The INTP qualities I see are creativity in thinking and coming up with new ideas. INTP qualities I also seem to have are being messy and procrastinating. However, they may be shadows of INTJ because I dislike being messy and get stressed out when my home or desk is cluttered. At work, I am fairly organized. In terms of procrastinating, I usually do so because I feel overwhelmed with the magnitude of work I have to do and also because I am a perfectionist and would rather not do something than do something and achieve less than desirable results.

I personally like my environment to be orderly and am always trying to achieve this, though it is not always so. lol. Additionally, I love exploring ideas and researching as most INTPs do, but I also like the feeling of accomplishment that I get when I can apply those ideas and achieve a goal. While I enjoy the time I spend exploring the ideas very much, at the end of the week, if I have not accomplished anything tangible towards my goals, I do feel  a bit depressed and useless.  I like order and a little structure in my environment and in my week is because I get overwhelmed with clutter and cannot work and because when too things are put off, I become stressed at having to do too much at once. I sometimes procrastinate not because I am a slacker, but because I fear not getting the high results I desire. Hence, I will put things off rather than get a less than desirable result. Additionally, unlike some INTP descriptions, I am not socially inept, shy or unable to be a leader.  I make acquaintances easily and will engage in small talk if need be, but I much prefer talking about more substantial issues. So although I can conduct myself well in social situations, I choose to have only a few close friends or otherwise, prefer to spend time alone.

In any case, as you can see, in regards to your type, things are not always as they appear. So, it is worth taking both the detailed test and the general tests below. Be completely honest, and answer them as you are, not as you want to be or what you perceive the world wants you to be. Taking the time to know your type is very important because then you can emphasize your strengths and work coping skills for your weaknesses if the need arises. Understanding ourselves is the first step for us to become better versions of ourselves. Please share your results, especially if you are also INTP or INTJ.

General Jungian, Myers-Briggs Personality Tests 

1. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
2. http://similarminds.com/cgi-bin/newmb.pl

Detailed Jungian Cognitive Processes Tests:
1. http://www.cognitivequiz.com/quiz.html
2. http://www.keys2cognition.com/explore.htm

My Jungian MBTI Type from humanmetrics.com


My Cognitive Processes results
(As you can see,the percentages for the INTP and INTJ functions are very close).


INTJ Cognitive Functions: Ni, Te, Fi, Se
INTP Cognitive Functions: Ti, Ne, Si, Fe




No comments:

Post a Comment