Friday, December 23, 2011

HSP & INTJ : Not Paradoxical as it seems

I had trouble coming to grips for years with the fact that I am very analytical, but also am very affected by my environment.

I was further confused by this since I usually type as an INTJ, and also realized two years ago that I am an HSP. It seemed paradoxical because I sometimes found it uneasy that I am so affected by my environment, despite my logical observations that most people in the world are not. Also, I did not feel that I am extremely emotional, with friends or the world, except when it comes to longstanding psychological relationships, i.e. familial relationships. As it turns out, INTJ and HSP are not incompatible, but fairly common because being Highly Senstive is more of a neuro-biological issue.

The poster "m" on this forum describes it quite well:

"Obviously, 'sensitivity' doesn't mean what most people think of when they hear the word: we're not Fs, after all, who get upset over every little thing. rather, the word means that we're highly-attuned to nuances we perceive in others, as well as our environment in general.


obviously, 'sensitivity' doesn't mean what most people think of when they hear the word: we're not Fs, after all, who get upset over every little thing. rather, the word means that we're highly-attuned to nuances we perceive in others, as well as our environment in general.

i like "sensitivity of intellectual conscience."

i hearken to Nietzsche's view of himself as having been wise as a consequence of his 'acute aesthetic sensitivity to nuances of health and sickness in people's attitudes and characters.'

i believe another way of looking at INTJ sensitivity can be found in what Kant called 'the beautiful.' he described this as what 'pleases in a disinterested way.'(obviously, INTJs are not *immune* to allowing our high sensitivity to affect us emotionally on occasion.)"

1 comment:

  1. "the word means that we're highly-attuned to nuances we perceive in others, as well as our environment in general".

    I absolutely agree. I am highly observant of those I care about and any change in their behavior catches my attention. I have a teen son who is an INFP and one who is an INTJ like me. We both (both INTJs) notice immediately if the ISFP is having a problem even though he internalizes most things- and we'll mention it to one another. "Do you know what's going on with him? Have you noticed he seems a bit on edge since yesterday?" Etc. But as far as others outside our "circle of concern" (Covey, Seven Habits...) we are often totally oblivious to their nuances.

    I have also noticed I am highly sensitive to weather fluctuations. I also can't stand to be around those whose body language doesn't match their speech; It stresses me.

    ReplyDelete